Italian Maremma & Umbria: A Pasta & Wine Lover’s Culinary Tour with Aliza Green: October 3 –13, 2012
Join Aliza Green, Italian food expert and author of 12 cookbooks, including Making Artisan Pasta, for a 10-day small-group exploration of autumn culinary delights, fresh pasta, and wine in wild, ancient Etruscan Maremma and Umbria, “Italy’s green heart.”
Visit Tarquinia and fifteenth-century Palazzo Vitelleschi with its fabulous winged horses. Stay at Ramerino in the heart of the wild Maremma in southwestern Tuscany. Dine at small, local restaurants and meet the chefs. Visit medieval towns Suvereto, Massa Marittima, and Campiglia-Marittima. Pasta demonstration by “mama” at tiny Taverna del Tiburzi. Chocolate and wine pairing workshop with cioccolataio Dominico d’Affronto. Relax at Terme Calidario, elegant Etruscan/Roman style spa.
Tour Barrati Archeological Park on the site of an ancient Etruscan iron-working village. Decorate with fruits, vegetables, and flowers with Fiorella Falavigna De Leo.
Walk the beautiful trails at Ramerino then enjoy a special meal prepared by master salumaio (cured meat specialist), Davide Fedele. Tour and tasting at hyper-local sheep cheese farm, Podere Paterno, powered by geothermic steam. Tour and tasting at renowned Super-Tuscan Winery Petra designed by star-chitect Mario Botto.
Guided tour of Pitigliano (“la piccola gerusalemme”) by local expert with visit to the old Jewish quarter followed by lunch of Jewish specialties.
In Orvieto, stay at the Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini in a restored Renaissance palazzo. Welcome reception at La Champagneria. Tour and tasting at Castello della Sala winery in a medieval castle. Dinner and hand-stretched pasta demo with Chef Valentina Santanicchio. Tour, tasting, and leisurely lunch overlooking the vineyards at Falesco Winery.
Visit to Monterubaglio with demo by three local pasta queens, then a hands-on class with Chef Velia de Angelis. Gala farewell dinner at La Badia, a restored 12th century abbey.
Land Package Price: $4,985.00* per person based on two sharing
Single Supplement: $895.00 limited availability, please inquire
*Price subject to revision at 90 days prior to travel date. Rate is based on a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 14 guests traveling together throughout. Price based on currency exchange as of March 2, 2012.
- Hosted throughout by Epicopia Experience Director, Aliza Green
- Transportation to and from Rome’s Fiumicino Airport
- All transfers and baggage handling
- 10 nights’ accommodation (as listed or similar)
- Daily breakfast, 8 lunches, and 9 dinners (total of 3 meals on own)
- Limited local wines (or non-alcoholic beverages) with included meals
- Transportation by deluxe mini-coach with an experienced, professional driver
- All cooking classes and demonstrations
- Licensed professional guide in Pitigliano and Barrati
- 3 winery visits & tastings
- Entrance fees to museums and sites according to the itinerary
- VAT and other taxes
- Signed copy of Aliza Green’s Making Artisan Pasta upon your return
- Welcome package
- Gratuities to driver and guides
- Two lunches and one dinner not included in the itinerary
- International airfares to/from Rome
- Travel Protection and Cancellation Insurance is recommended (must provide proof of coverage or signed statement)
|For reservations contact:||For additional information contact:|
|Epicopia Culinary Journeys5042 Rabbit Ridge Court
Rockwall, Texas 75032 USA
Tel: 972.771.3510 or 877.661.3844