I am pleased to announce new dates for my small group Culinary Turkey Experience! Please join me and other food lovers on this extraordinary journey May 25 – June 8, 2011.
Turkey straddles East and West culturally, historically and literally. It’s the only country to sit on two continents, Europe and Asia. The whole country is like an open-air museum with remains of successive empires and cultural movements on display at every turn. Turkey is a modern, secular country with an old soul, the meeting place not only of East and West but of past and future as well.
The surest way to capture the essence of a country’s culture is through its cuisine. Turkey, like no other country, is the crossroads of many cuisines. Turkish cuisine features lamb, eggplant, and pilafs. Vegetables are often stuffed with aromatic meat preparations, and desserts usually combine fruits, nuts, and pastry.
I am working with Epicopia Culinary Journeys to offer you this incomparable Turkish Culinary Experience. Fragrant Fields and Turkish Delights: Exploring Aegean & Ottoman Flavors II features the western region of Turkey as well as the extraordinary city of Istanbul.
We begin our culinary experience on the Greek Island of Chios. Located only seven miles off the coast of Turkey, Chios is the only place on the planet where mastic is cultivated, harvested and sent throughout the Mediterranean countries.
From Chios we follow this precious product into Turkey spending several days in the Çesme – Alaçati and Ephesus region where we visit markets, archaeological sites, dine in traditional local restaurants, stroll the back streets of villages and towns, visit organic farms, meet artisanal craftsmen, enjoy cooking classes with local chefs and share lunches and dinners in private homes of friends and culinary authors.
Behind every door we discover exactly what makes Turkey the “exotic culinary destination.” From the fruit wines of Sirince and the Aydin Valley, the exceptional wines of Bozcaada and Tekirdag, to the sweet, heavy coffees, we will drink Turkey. We gather herbs from the mountainside of Mt. Ida for our cooking class of regional specialties and in Istanbul we learn from the Master Culinary Engineer himself, Musa Dagdeviren the passionate mind behind the famous Ciya Restaurant.
Greece and Turkey have exchanged cultures and peoples for centuries and this explosion of flavors is just one reason I am eager to share her passion and love of this complex and stimulating region. Aliza’s knowledge of regional foods will enhance the hands-on and behind the scenes visits and the cultural and archaeological sites become a seamless adventure along with the local cuisine as we explore the Aegean and Ottoman influences on Turkish Cuisine.
Please join me for this uniquely adventurous Turkish Culinary Experience May 25 – June 8, 2011.
Call today 972.771.3510 or 877.661.3844 for detailed itinerary
*Price based on exchange rate as of October 1, 2010. Subject to revision at 90 days prior to travel date. Rate is based on a minimum of 10 guests traveling together throughout and a maximum of 15 guests.
- 13 nights’ accommodation (hotels listed or similar)
- Daily breakfasts, 10 lunches and 7 dinners
- Welcome coffee and snacks on first day
- Limited local alcoholic drinks (some meals) or non-alcoholic beverages lunches and dinners
- 13 days of sightseeing in a deluxe air-conditioned vehicle with a professional driver
- Walking on Chios with qualified guide
- Bicycles and special bicycle guide for the Kampos bicycling tour (optional participation)
- Participation in all activities described in the itinerary
- Herb gathering from Mt Ida with a professional chef
- 3 very special cooking classes
- Chios – Cesme one way ferry tickets
- Ferry tickets to & from Bozcaada Island
- Olive Oil tasting in Adatepe Olive Museum
- Corvus wine experience and tasting in Bozcaada
- Licensed professional guide in English language
- Wine tasting by Gulor Vineyards
- Private boat to Asian Side of Istanbul
- All transfers and baggage handling
- Entrance fees to museums and sites per itinerary
- Bottled water provided throughout the tours
- VAT and other taxes
- Welcome package
- Hosted throughout by Epicopia Experience Director, Aliza Green
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Meals that are not indicated on the itinerary
- International airfares to Chios and return from Istanbul
- Recommended dinners/lunches and transportation to & from the restaurants not included in itinerary
- Travel Protection and Cancellation Insurance (Must provide proof of coverage)
- Optional night in Athens pre-tour
- Transportation required with Athens stopover